So last night, Michael was out late with a work commitment & normally, I just skip dinner or eat cereal, but since I've been trying to eat healthier since the New Year, I thought I'd try a recipe for a chicken stew. Two of my main concerns when making a meal are 1) will the picky eaters in my family eat it & 2) How many ingredients do I need?
I would say if I made this again for non-picky eaters, I might consider adding mushrooms &/or kale, maybe even zucchini, all of these would work nicely with the rich, yet not overpowering sauce for the stew.
Italian Chicken Stew--adapted from Williams-Sonoma
1 large onion--I substituted 2 shallots
5-7 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb chicken cut into small pieces--I used 2 large chicken breasts
4 C low sodium chicken broth
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes in sauce (I used 1 6 oz can tomato paste)
1/2 tsp. cumin
*1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (totally added this in for myself, not in original)*
1 tablespoon rosemary, dried, 2 tablespoons if using fresh
1/2 C red wine
*I added 1 chicken bullion cube, I feel like recipe needed a little extra something*
1 15 oz can black beans
2 bags baby spinach or one of those big boxes from Sams
1/2 lb whole wheat pasta shells, cooked until al dente, but not overly soft, as they will cook more in soup
Grated parmesan cheese for serving
Heat olive oil over med/high heat & sweat onion & garlic, add chicken to pot & cook through (be careful not to burn garlic), then add all other ingredients except spinach. Cook for 20 min on med heat until sauce begins to thicken a little & flavors have developed. Finally, add spinach & stir to incorporate. Serve with a little parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!
P.S. Ella gobbled up 2 helpings & Michael is having some for lunch today, hope he likes it also, I thought it was great :) Jessica, well, she lives on fruit & hot dogs, so she didn't eat it, despite my best efforts.





No comments :
Post a Comment