Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Encouragement for busy moms

I know most people who read this blog are moms or grandmas & I know one of my struggles while having kids has been getting motivated to get that never-ending to do list done.  Over the last few months I have gotten a good number of things off my list, but it seems like as soon as I have one thing completed something new gets on the list.  Here's a blog post from Lysa TerKeurst--head of Proverbs 31 ministers about doing just that:

The Moment To Start

Is there something you’ve been wanting to do but never quite getting around to it? 

Cleaning out that closet. Starting that diet. Writing that thank you note. Making that adorable something you found on Pinterest. Printing those pictures stuck in your camera.

Me too.
I have a project I’ve been wanting to do for months. I keep thinking, “I want to do that.” But wanting something to happen and actually making it happen are two vastly different states of being. 

Making something happen invigorates me. Wanting something to happen drains me. So, why don’t I just accomplish these things on my list? Because it’s so stinkin’ hard to get out of the rut of my already busy schedule and add something else. And to be honest, it’s hard to start.

So, instead of doing some of the things on my mental list, I just keep thinking about them. When I keep thinking about accomplishing something but never get started it seriously clutters my thinking. 

I’ll be doing my quiet time and these things bump into my prayers. 

I’ll be falling asleep and think about how another day has rolled by without me getting started. 

And the worst is when I hear someone else talking about accomplishing these tasks and I think, “Ughhh-why is she so much more motivated than me?”

Well guess what today is? National kick yourself in the pants and get started day! 

Okay, so I totally made that up but I think it’s a great day to tackle one of “those things.” Or, at least get started.

So, put on your most favorite music. The kinds of songs that make you dance like no one is watching. And sing along like no one is listening.

Pick which thing you want to commit to today. Is this a small task like writing a thank you note or making an appointment? Do it this morning. Seriously, right now. I’ll wait right here.

If it’s a larger project try breaking the project into realistic phases…small daily tasks that can be accomplished in the amount of time you have to give each day. And build in a reward system for yourself!

I really like her idea of building in a reward system.  Since I've got so much laundry & packing to do over the next few days, maybe each time I get a load of laundry done....I get a piece of candy or a cookie!

Nothing much new to report for the girls.  We will traveling to Michael's folks home for the weekend & then flying to Brazil on Monday.  Let's all say a prayer for Michael's parents that the girls are at least manageable!  Also, please keep me in your prayers also as I will miss those girls so much.  It is important that Michael and I have time for ourselves, but we love the girls so much it is tough to be away from them.  Here are a few pics of the girls playing by our front door in a tutu.  Jessie started this & I just grabbed my camera to take a few quick snapshots.  I took these with my little 50mm lens & no fancy editing--just unsharp masked them after I converted from Raw.  Enjoy & have a great day!  Here's to getting things off the to-do list ;)





 

No comments :

Post a Comment