Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hola from Brazil

So I know I said I wouldn't be posting for the next week & a half, but as I type this I am waiting on Michael to return from his big talk at the IADR conference.  I thought I could include some pics of the hotel; however, our macbook is not compatible with my old canon A560 point & shoot--I can't find any drivers so that they can talk to each other.  We arrived safe & sound on Tuesday after 17 hrs. on 4 different flights & a death defying cab ride to our lovely hotel.  The hotel itself is very clean & lovely...although it is luxurious for Brazil's standards, the rooms are not quite as updated as we expected, but the bathroom is solid marble...so I guess that makes up for the room.  The hotel has 4 different restaurants & the 2 we've tried have been excellent.  Last night after our full night & day of travel we ate at the Brazilian/international restaurant, which served a beautiful buffet of anything you could imagine & we also enjoyed our 1st Brazilian Cabernet....delicious!  This morning after 12 solid hours of sleep we had a lovely brunch at the smaller restaurant, wow what a spread.  I think Michael and I were both nervous that the language barrier & people would be overwhelming, but actually we have found the opposite to be true.  Most folks are bi-lingual & speak either some english or some spanish.  I have found that we are fine with my broken spanish & the few portuguese phrases that we know.  I was very proud that I could order cachaça shots for us as the bar last night...this is the sugar cane brandy of Brazil & it's quite good/strong.  I'm going to try to order a batida de coco for myself tonight...which is this sugar cane brandy mixed with sugar & coconut milk--we will see if they can actually understand me :)  Today, Michael treated me to a lovely spa experience.  The spa reportedly uses natural ingredients from the actual amazon...which we are at the base of the amazon here in Iguacu Falls so I guess that is plausible.  I enjoyed a traditional Brazilian bath soak before a 1 hr massage...I know I am so spoiled!  I have to say that I am thankful that I did know a little spanish for the spa today as no one spoke anymore than about 5 words of English.  The weather here is rainy & around 65 degrees or so, although it is supposed to warm up & get sunny as the week progresses.  Tomorrow we are going to take the walking tour of the falls, which is considered one of the 7 natural wonders of the world.  We considered the helicopter tour, but I think we want to get a bit more up close and personal.  From what I can see in the videos & guide brochures, it looks like there is a bridge that you can walk out onto to see the falls.


I didn't take this one...found it online ;), but very excited to see Iguacu Falls with my own eyes
For my dad, who is reading via my mom, the water supply is no problem here & they only offer bottled water to tourists ;)  So far my experience in Brazil has been great.  The people here are very kind & friendly to tourists & really try with English.  Also, the conversion rate is excellent for American dollars, so much so that you actually get double your value here!  My last update on the girls was good & that they were having a lot of fun at Gaga & Papa's house.  That's all for now, I hope everyone is having a great day.  






1 comment :

  1. We went to Iguazu on our honeymoon in Argentina! They are AMAZING!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete