Friday, June 22, 2012
A real cultural experience
Today, after our excursion to the falls yesterday, we ventured out of Brazil and into Argentina for some duty-free shopping. Although it was nice & Michael got a great watch, the selection left a little to be desired. This afternoon after he had completed his meeting we went into the city center in Iguacu to shop at the mall. The mall was interesting, similar to US malls, but no English & only limited Spanish....really scary since I only know about 5 Portuguese phrases. I was thrilled to have a conversation with a jewelry shop worker in Spanish about the cost of a blue topaz earring/necklace set & I even managed to haggle with her to get it down 30%; however, those of you that know me will know that I only purchase something at 50% off or more. We also ventured closer to the city center to a Portuguese only area to look at some local goods...I couldn't resist some handmade dresses for the girls. Michael's comment on these dresses was that they were "fodder" for my photography. He's probably right, but they are so cute I couldn't help myself! We also took at cab ride back to our hotel with a very nice Brazilian gentleman who spoke excellent Spanish & he & I had a conversation about the area and our stay in Brazil. I have to admit I was thrilled I could understand him enough to keep up. This evening we enjoyed a churrascuria in the city center called Bufalo Branco. This was a really traditional place & offered all the roasted meats you could want. As I type this--I am in a meat coma & Michael can barely function. It was quite a meal! That's all for today. As for the falls yesterday...I have many pics to share when I return. All I can say is amazing. Truly, the most beautiful natural wonder I will probably ever experience. Tomorrow---onto Rio de Janerio for a few more days of fun! So very thankful for the opportunity to have this wonderful experience as a couple ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
No comments :
Post a Comment